搜索
查看: 6566|回复: 16

[外语学习] The end of walking

[复制链接]
发表于 2015-8-28 00:14:56 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

步行的末日

Albuquerque.jpg

by Antonia Malchik

In Orwellian fashion, Americans have been stripped of the right to walk, challenging their humanity, freedom and health

如奥威尔的笔下,美国人已经被剥夺了步行的权利,他们的人权、自由和健康正受到挑战

来源:http://aeon.co/magazine/society/step-by-step-americans-are-sacrificing-the-right-to-walk/

Antonia Malchik is the managing editor of STIR Journal and a freelance essayist. Wanderlust dominates her life and work and much of her writing is about travel. Currently, she is working on Against the Grain, a memoir.

安东尼娅·玛吉科是STIR日报的总编辑,也是一名自由撰稿人。她的主要生活和工作是旅行,她的写作也大部分与此相关。目前,她正在撰写一部回忆录《Against the Grain

In 2011, Raquel Nelson was convicted of vehicular homicide following the death of her four-year-old son. Nelson, it’s crucial to note, was not driving. She didn’t even own a car. She and her three children were crossing a busy four-lane road from a bus stop to their apartment building in suburban Atlanta, Georgia. She’d stopped on the median halfway across when her son let go of her hand and stepped into the second half of the road. Nelson tried to catch him but wasn’t fast enough; she and her two-year-old daughter were also injured.

2011年,拉克尔·尼尔森因车辆肇事导致其四岁儿子死亡而被定罪。但关键是,尼尔森当时并没有开车。她甚至从来没有一辆车。当时,她和她的三个孩子,正从公交车站马路——一条位于乔治亚州亚特兰大市郊的繁忙的四车道公路——回家。走到一半停下,儿子挣开她的手,继续走向后半截道路。尼尔森试图却没能及时抓住他;她和她两岁的女儿也受了伤。 

The driver admitted to having alcohol and painkillers in his system (and to being legally blind in one eye) and pleaded guilty to the charge of hit-and-run. He served six months in prison. For the crime of walking three tired, hungry children home in the most efficient way possible, Nelson faced more jail time than the man who had killed her son.

肇事司机承认酒驾及服用止痛药(并且一眼失明),对肇事逃逸供认不讳、深表内疚。他被判处六个月有期徒刑。但对于尼尔森的“犯罪”——带着三个又累又饿的孩子以可能是最快方式回家,则面临着比肇事司机更重的刑罚。

I am writing from a position of privilege. Not white or middle-class privilege – although I am both of those things and those facts play a role in my privilege – but rather, the privilege Americans don’t realise they’ve lost in a nearly Orwellian fashion: I can open the door of my home, take my kids by their hands, and meet almost any need by lifting my feet and moving forward. Food, schools, social centres, books, playgrounds, even doctors and dentists and ice cream – nearly everything our family uses daily is within about a mile’s walk of home and well-served by wide, uncrowded sidewalks.

现在的写作是一种基本权利。不是仅白人或中产阶级的基本权利——尽管我两者均沾并且他们在我的世界里十分重要——但是,拥有基本权利的美国人没意识到,他们已经陷入一种近乎奥威尔式的发展趋势:我可以打开家门,手牵手地拉孩子,通过抬向前满足几乎所有需求。食物、学校、社交中心、书、操场,甚至是医生、牙医和冰淇淋——几乎所有的家庭日常所需,都能在1英里范围内通过宽敞、不拥挤的人行道得到满足。

This is the kind of privilege that Raquel Nelson, and millions like her, might never experience. I’ve walked her steps, dealing with cranky children after a long day, worn out, longing for sleep, weighed down with groceries, and then suddenly reaching out with a pounding heart as my littlest one ran into a busy street. Reading her story, I find the inhumanity of Nelson’s situation staggering. There’s the injustice of her conviction, but beyond that is this: she was walking. There is nothing more human, more natural, more fundamental to our freedom, than transporting ourselves by foot. Nothing more purely instinctive than a child answering the desire of feet, legs, spine, and head, to dart forward in the direction his brain urges him to go.

这是一种拉克尔·尼尔森们,可能从未体会到的基本权利。我有过同样的状况,漫长的一天结束后,带着烦躁的孩子,困,很累,然后突然心跳加速,因为我最小的孩子跑入了一条繁忙的街道。读她的故事,我发现尼尔森的情况简直不人道得令人发指。她的定罪是不公正的,但在此背后的是:她正在走路。没有比用脚让自己移动更人道、更自然、更基础的自由了。也没有比一个孩子通过回答脚、腿、脊椎和头的欲望,去他想去的地方而更本能的事了。

Human beings evolved to move at a pace of three miles an hour, breathing easily, hands free, seeking food and shade. We tread without thinking, toes pushing off from the soil, cheeks lifted to catch the air, dirt caking in our nostrils. Walking is the first legacy of our post-ape genes, the trait that makes us most human: H. sapiens came only after H. erectus. We walked, and began our intellectual toddle toward the Anthropocene.

人类进化成以每小时3英里的速度移动,同时呼吸自然、双手放松,以寻找食物和遮蔽之所。而动作十分自然,脚趾离开地面,面颊抬起呼吸空气,灰尘在鼻孔里结块。步行是史前猿类基因的第一遗传,这一点让我们更像人类。智人产生于直立人之后。我们步行,然后初步拥有智慧,直到成为人。

Our most basic access to health comes from walking. Walking for just 30 minutes five days a week has been shown to have a significant impact on everything from obesity to depression and colon cancer. A normal day’s errands would easily take more than 30 minutes on foot. When we get around by driving instead we’re liable to become overweight, insular, edgy. In his book The Story of the Human Body, the evolutionary biologist Daniel E Lieberman dissects the widespread chronic health problems that he thinks are linked to sitting for long periods, including in cars: muscle atrophy, lower-back pain, cardiovascular disease, diabetes. ‘We are inadequately adapted to being too physically idle, too well fed, too comfortable,’ he says.

保持健康最基本的方式也是走路。每周五天仅步行30分钟,被证明对任何事情都有显著的影响,从肥胖、情绪低落到直肠癌。而一天的正常活动,会很轻松地超过30分钟步行。当我们取而代之以开车时,就会更倾向于超重、孤独和急躁。在进化生物学家丹尼尔· E· 里尔波曼的《人类身体的故事》一书中,他仔细地分析了普遍的慢性健康问题,认为和长时间久坐有关,包括在车里面,诸如肌肉萎缩、后背疼痛、心血管疾病、糖尿病。“我们正在不合适地让身体适应懒惰、过饱、过于安逸。”他说。

But exercise is perhaps the narrowest of considerations. Walking is a complex interconnection of cognitive processes and sensory inputs. The transfer of information from foot to brain, between the inner ear and visual reception, is mind-bogglingly difficult to calculate. Only the most recent neuroscience research is beginning to grasp the bidirectional link between cognitive and motor functions, and the role cardiovascular health plays in our mental wellbeing. Yet walking as a way of life is more out of reach than ever, especially for those in poorer neighbourhoods.

但(把步行理解成)运动可能是最简单的想法。步行,是一种复杂的认知过程和感知输入的结合。信息的传输从脚到大脑、从听觉到视觉,计算起来困难地令人难以置信。只有最先进的神经系统科学研究,正在试图捕捉认知和运动功能之间的双向联系,以及心血管健康在我们精神满足中扮演的角色。但步行作为一种生活方式,比以往任何时候都更加遥不可及,尤其是对贫困地区而言。

For decades, Americans have been losing their ability, even their right, to walk. There are places in the United States – New York City, for example – where people walk as a matter of habit and lifestyle, commuting in ways familiar to residents of London or aris. But there are vast blankets and folds of the country where the ability to walk – to open a door and step outside and go somewhere or nowhere without getting behind the wheel of a car – is a struggle, a fight. A risk.

In 2013 more than 4,700 pedestrians were killed, and an estimated 66,000 injured, in what the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration calls ‘traffic crashes’. That’s a bite-sized phrase for what is, essentially, people in cars killing and injuring people on foot.

数十年来,美国人一直在丧失他们步行的能力,乃至权利。在美国很多地方,比如纽约,人们的生活习惯方式出现问题时,才像伦敦或者巴黎的人那样走路。但在那些道路崎岖的国家,步行——开门离家,不利用汽车地去某个地方或者任何地方——是一种抗争,一场战斗。也是种风险,2013年,(美国)国家公路交通安全管理局认定的交通事故中,超过4700名行人身亡,大约66000人受伤。但那只是管窥一豹,本质上说来,即开车的人在谋杀和伤害步行的人。

Kate Kraft, the National Coalition Director for America Walks, an advocacy organisation for walkability, says that, ever since towns began removing streetcars, we’ve undermined transit systems that would support the walker and planned instead for the car. Walking is an impediment to the car culture we revere, an experience we’ve intentionally designed out of our lives.

凯特·克拉夫特,美国步行协会(一家提倡舒适行走的组织)国家联盟主任,说:“自城市移除有轨电车开始,人们已经破坏了行人交通系统,并以汽车取而代之。”步行是对人们如今热衷的汽车文化的妨碍,一种人们已经有意排除在生活之外的体验。

[ 本帖最后由 南卓 于 2015-8-30 10:57 编辑 ]
 楼主| 发表于 2015-8-28 00:15:20 | 显示全部楼层

It’s not just about laziness – in America, cars retain the mystique of freedom, independence, luxury. Think of episodes of the television show Mad Men set in a Cadillac dealership or the factory floors of Detroit, heart of America’s motorised fantasies: like the 1960s advertising offices at the centre of the show itself, the automobile showrooms are saturated with the myths of what Americans imagine themselves to be. We are both the person behind the wheel, in complete control, and the open road itself: wealthy, independent, full of potential. Harried commuters stuck in traffic or having to stop for pedestrians have never been part of this image. From subsidised parking to the way transportation authorities plan roads, we encourage car travel and discourage moving on foot. More than discourage it, we criminalise it where deemed necessary.

这不仅仅关于懒惰——在美国,汽车秉承自由、独立和奢华的奥秘。想一下系列剧《广告狂人》定位在卡迪拉克的代理商或底特律的工厂木板上,那是美国疯狂幻想的心脏:就像1960年代的广告办事处就位于其中心,汽车展览室则被暗示成美国人以为自己将要达到的地方。我们处于完全控制之下,是轮子背后的人和马路本身:富有、独立、潜力十足。匆忙的通勤人员堵在路上,或必须为行人停车,这些都不曾是这副画面的一部分。从停车补贴到交通权威规划公路,我们鼓励汽车旅行而不鼓励步行。不仅仅不鼓励,人们甚至在认为需要的地方认定它违法。

When her son was killed, Raquel Nelson was jaywalking. ‘Jaywalking’, the legal definition of which varies slightly by state, is the term for crossing a road at any place without an intersection or designated crosswalk. When Nelson’s conviction for vehicular manslaughter was overturned in 2013, the $200 fine for jaywalking stuck. In her shoes – considering the actual crosswalk was about a third of a mile down the street, her apartment building directly across from the bus stop, and her children tired and hungry – I would have done the same. In fact, when I’m with my children, jaywalking feels safer than dragging their wiggly selves down the kind of sidewalk that serves Nelson’s neighbourhood, with its stingy concrete almost hugging the highway. And, considering the state of the driver who killed her son and the fact that he had two previous hit-and-run convictions, it is in any case questionable whether Nelson’s children would have been safer on the crosswalk.

当她的儿子被撞身亡时,拉克尔·尼尔森正在jaywalking。所谓“Jaywalking”,各州法律定义稍许不同,但都指,在非十字路口或无规划斑马线的任何地方横穿马路。2013尼尔森的车祸肇事指控被翻案时,200美元的横穿马路罚款依然保留在案。设身处地——考虑到最近的人行横道在约1/3英里外,她的公寓在公交车站正对面,同时她的孩子又累又饿——换做是我,我也会做出同样的举动。事实上,当我和我的孩子一起时,感觉横穿马路,会比拽着他们左摇右摆地去走尼尔森家旁边的人行道更安全,尤其(人行道)窄得几乎紧贴大马路。同时,考虑到肇事司机的状态,以及实际上他此前曾有两次肇事逃逸指控,在任何情况下,认为尼尔森的孩子在人行横道上更安全,都是有问题的。

Jaywalking was once a semi-derogatory term referring to country bumpkins, or ‘jays’, who inefficiently meandered around American cities; by the 1920s, the term was being used to transfer blame for accidents from motorists to pedestrians. Making jaywalking illegal gave the supremacy of mobility to those sitting behind combustion engines. Once upon a time, the public roads belonged to everyone. But since the ingenious invention of jaywalking we’ve battered pedestrianism in one of those silent culture wars where the only losers are ourselves.

横穿马路曾经是个半贬义的词汇,意指乡巴佬,或者说“松鸡”,指那些经常没有目的地漫游在美国城市周边的人;大约1920年代,这个词汇被用于转移汽车司机对行人的交通事故的责任归咎。横穿马路不合法,为那些坐在燃油机后面的汽车司机提供了特权。曾经一度,公路属于每一个人。但自从精心发明了“横穿马路”后,我们狠狠打击了那些无声的文化战争——战争唯一的失败者只有我们——中的徒步主义。

Walkers lost significant ground during the ‘white flight’ decades after the Second World War – when Americans with means, mostly white, abandoned the cities and cloistered themselves in suburbs that, over time, lost their neighbourhood amenities and their sidewalks, and then spread further into the countryside, wresting sterile square footage from farmlands and forests. Only New York City (as well as, some would claim, Boston) managed to save itself for pedestrians, assisted by an existing and expansive public transport system and the work of people like the 1960s activist and writer Jane Jacobs, who successfully argued that sidewalks, pedestrians, and public spaces were crucial to healthy, thriving cities.

二战结束后的“白人大迁移”的十来年里,行人失去了象征性的战场——当时大多数美国人,尤其是白人,带着自己的财产抛弃城市,在城郊隐居起来,从而丧失了邻里之乐和人行道,然后传播远至乡村,从农场到森林,抢夺每一寸贫瘠的土地。只有纽约(可能还有人说,波士顿),通过一种现存的昂贵的公共交通系统,以及一些人,例如1960年代的激进分子、作家Jane Jacobs——他成功地证明人行道、行人和公共区域对富有而蒸蒸日上的城市的重要性,试图为行人保留了一些什么

In most other places, walking became both boring – there’s little to look at in the suburbs, and scant shade – and difficult. Take the sad example of the trek to school. When I was in a Montana grade school in the early 1980s, I walked several blocks there and back, on my own, from my second day of kindergarten (my father walked with me the first day). In 1969, 48 per cent of children aged five to 14 walked or cycled to school. By 2009, the number had dropped to 13 per cent; even families still living within a mile of school began driving. The suburbs were too far for most cyclists, much less walkers, and over time the roads became more treacherous for people of all ages, children especially.

而在其他大多数地方,步行变得既无聊又麻烦,只有在郊区或者少数阴凉地方才能见到。例如艰难跋涉去学校。1980年代早期,我就读于蒙大拿的小学时,从上幼儿园的第二天起(第一天是我的父亲陪我一起走的),便每天独自往返走几个街区。1969年,48%的年龄在514岁的孩子,步行或者骑自行车上学。而2009,这一数据已经低至13%;即使家在学校周边一英里范围内,也开始开车。对大多数骑自行车的人来说,郊区太远了,步行的人更少,久而久之,马路变得对所有年龄层的人来说都更危险,尤其是小孩。

he arteries connecting far-flung housing developments to life’s necessities are never sleepy country roads or tree-lined neighbourhood streets, but racing two- and four-lane motorways dangerous to drivers and lethal to walkers. Add an inflated sense of crime, and you get a mass exodus of generations hopping from their houses into comfortable, oversized cars, getting everywhere faster with breakfast on the go, and with little use for sidewalks.

连接遥远的住宅到生活所需的动脉,是永不停息的乡村公路和绿树成荫的邻里街道,但在24车道的高速公路上疾驰,对司机是危险的,对行人更是致命的。增加一种过度的犯罪概念(Jaywalking,然后换来一大群忙碌通勤的人、过多的汽车、去任何地方都不超过一顿早餐的时间,以及对人行道更少的利用。

One neighbourhood in suburban Chicago fought sidewalks so bitterly that it ended up with a walkway stopping pointlessly halfway down a block

一个芝加哥郊区的社区苦苦地和人行道奋战,以致它毫无意义地只剩下半截。

We came to scorn walking, to fear it. Real Americans fold themselves into cars, where they feel safe and in control. For exercise, the better-off mimic walkers, bicyclists, hikers, and farmers on stationary machines in health clubs. They and the middle class drive to parks and wilderness preserves for the privilege of walking outside among trees and birds and clean air, and the poor are left with vast wastelands of road and concrete; the advice to ‘walk three times a week for your health’ easier given than followed when there’s nowhere safe to place your foot.

人们开始嘲笑、害怕走路。真正的美国人会把自己藏进车子里,那里他们感觉安全并且可控。至于锻炼,有钱人会在健身俱乐部固定的机器上模仿行人、骑自行车的人、登山者和农民。他们和中产阶级会开车去公园和野外,在森林、鸟儿和清新空气里,保持自己步行的基本权利,然后把大量废弃的公路和混凝土留给穷人;也许要等到四面楚歌时,“为了健康一周步行三次”的建议才更容易提出来。

Over the past 80 years, walking simply as a way to get somewhere, let alone for pleasure, has become such an alien concept to Americans that small movements towards making neighbourhoods and communities more walkable are met with fierce, indignant resistance. Much of this fight has to do with who pays for the sidewalks. Once an area has been designed without walkability in mind, it’s extremely expensive to reverse the infrastructure. Municipalities and suburbs alike have to consider curbs, gutters, stormwater runoff, ongoing maintenance, and snow removal. I live in Montana, where snow cover from early November to late April is normal. While my town ploughs the roads, homeowners are legally obliged to keep sidewalks adjacent to their properties clear of snow with shovels or snowblowers. It’s excellent exercise, but not necessarily fun, especially for the elderly or disabled. In heavy winters shovelling can feel fruitless, and it’s not uncommon to see pedestrians giving up on icy sidewalks and shifting to the well-cleared roads.

过去的八十年里,曾仅是一种前往别处的方式、独处的乐趣的步行,对美国人而言变成了一种奇怪的事,如果说要稍微改变社区以更适合步行,会遭到强烈而气愤的反对。大多数时候,需要和那些为人行道付钱的人抗争。一旦某个地方已被预设计不适合步行,如果想要改变则代价非常大。自治城市和郊区必须考虑障碍物、排水沟、暴雨排泄、在线维护和铲雪等。我住在蒙大拿,这里通常从11月初到4月底都被积雪覆盖。当镇上铲除道路积雪时,住户会被要求用铲锹或者吹雪机除雪,以保持房子周边的人行道干净。这是很好的锻炼,但不是很有乐趣,尤其对老年人和残疾人。下暴雪时,铲雪是没有意义的,行人往往会放弃结冰的人行道而选择干净的公路。

The resistance to sidewalks, and to walking, often splits along generational lines. eople who have come of age and grown old in a car-centric culture have trouble seeing why they should pay to enable walkers. One neighbourhood in suburban Chicago fought sidewalks so bitterly, with long-time residents speaking against sidewalk calls from younger families, that it ended up with a walkway stopping pointlessly halfway down a block. ‘Cement companies . . . are the only ones who truly benefit,’ another long-time resident and opponent of proposed sidewalks on Long Island is quoted as saying in the Wall Street Journal. ‘Nobody walks on King Road. Everybody drives.’

反对人行道和步行与否,通常会因年龄而有所区分。那些自”唯汽车中心“时代过来的老人,会对他们要为方便行人付钱很有看法。一个芝加哥郊区的社区苦苦地和人行道奋战——长期与支持人行道的年轻家庭抗争——最终让它只剩下毫无意义的半截。“水泥公司……才是唯一的实际受益者,”在长岛发生的另一起长时间反对人行道的活动被华尔街日报引述,“没有人在国王路上步行,每个人都开车。”

Anecdotally, one hears stories of communities where proposed infrastructure that promotes walking brings out grumbles that only the poor, the great unwashed, the criminal and the under-classes have any use for sidewalks and pedestrian-friendly roads.

插个故事,听说在一个支持步行的社区里,人们抱怨舒适的人行道只对穷鬼、平民、罪犯和下等人才有用。

But at a deeper level, Americans’ attachment to private property and individual liberty – which are rife with a history of racial and class tensions – drives us to mistrust walking. ‘It’s that ‘get off my lawn, get off my sidewalk’ feeling,’ says Kate Kraft. ‘People get this fear that “undesirables” will be walking through their neighbourhoods.’

但更深层次,种族阶层斗争的历史背景下,美国人对私有财产和个体自由的依恋,会让人们选择不信任步行。“那是一种‘滚开我的草坪和人行道’的感觉,”凯特·克拉夫特说,“人们会有一种恐惧,好像坏人将走过他们附近。”

[ 本帖最后由 南卓 于 2015-8-28 00:21 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2015-8-28 00:17:39 | 显示全部楼层

Gated communities are only the most recent incarnation of the narrow-eyed suspicion with which we view unleashed strangers venturing outside on foot, much less anywhere near our homes

总是狭隘地怀疑陌生人在试图闯入,其中封闭的社区是最典型的代表  

This kind of attitude seems uniquely American. When I lived in Vienna, where walking and public transport are more common than driving, I got used to transporting myself by train and foot, both around town and in the hiking trails of the Alps. In Russia, where I spent stretches of my teens and twenties, walking is a way of life, schoolchildren racing and dour old men trudging around cities and villages in biting sub-zero winters. When I moved back to the US, I never got reaccustomed to the lack of public transport and sidewalks, the assumption that destinations even half a mile away – a 10-minute walk – required a motor vehicle and a seat belt. The car, the distrust of walkers, they’ve become the hallmarks of an everybody-for-herself, bootstrap-pulling, falsely self-sufficient American culture. Freedom to drive when and how we please is as American as apple pie and a gun holster; freedom to walk is not.

这种态度似乎仅美国人才有。我住在维也纳时,那里步行和公共交通比开车更常见。我习惯自己坐火车或者步行,包括在城里转悠,或去爬阿尔卑斯山。在俄罗斯,我度过自己十多岁和二十多岁的地方,步行是一种生活方式,在痛苦的严寒的冬天,学童们会赛跑,沉默的老年人会在城里和乡下慢慢散步。当我搬回美国时,再也不能重新适应那种缺少公共交通和人行道的生活,假设即使半英里的路程,仅需要走路10分钟,人们也需要汽车和安全带。汽车,对行人的不信任,开始变成一种自私自利而又错误地自我满足的美国文化的标签。任何时间以任何喜欢的方式驾驶是一种自由,就像美国人的苹果派和手枪皮套那样,但步行不是。

In many parts of the US, pedestrianism is seen as a dubiously counter-culture activity. Gated communities are only the most recent incarnation of the narrow-eyed suspicion with which we view unleashed strangers venturing outside on foot, much less anywhere near our homes. A friend of mine told me recently that a few years ago, when she lived in Mississippi, she was stopped by police constantly simply because she preferred to walk to work. Twice they insisted on driving her home, ‘so I could prove I wasn’t homeless or a prostitute. Because who else would be out walking?’ She finally got tired of the hassle and bought a used bike to commute.

在美国大多数地方,步行主义会被视为令人怀疑的反文化行为。人们总是狭隘地怀疑陌生人在试图闯入自己家,其中封闭的社区是最典型的代表。一个朋友告诉我,就在前些年,她住在密西西比时,经常会被警察拦住,就因为她更喜欢走路去上班。有两次警察坚持开车送她回家,“因此我必须证明我不是无家可归或一个妓女。不然还会有谁在外走路呢?”最终她厌烦了辩解,然后买了一辆二手自行车开始上下班。

Our world has changed drastically from the age of antiquity, or even Wordsworth and Thoreau, those acclaimed walker-thinkers, if we’ve reached the point where, in a supposedly post-feminist world, a woman breaking no law can be harassed by the police for the simple act of walking to work.

从古老的世纪,或者甚至华兹华斯和梭罗——那些受赞扬的步行思考者的时代,我们的世界已经戏剧性地改变了。如果我们已经到达某个时间点,例如一个后女权主义的世界,一个女士会经常因为简单地喜欢走路上班而违法、而困扰。

I’d theorise that America’s distrust of the unprotected pedestrian – the No Trespassing signs, the gated communities, the suburban homes with no sidewalks – goes further back, tapping into instincts built long before suburbs and motorways, before human record. Our bipedal ancestors evolved in a paradigm of moving between shelter, which meant protection, to leaving it and searching for food at enormous physical risk. When a carnivore inevitably showed up they had no hard-sided Land Rover to retreat into. From evolution’s perspective, danger came in tandem with walking, manifesting in later centuries as laws against loitering and assumptions that a woman walking alone must be a prostitute.

我想系统阐述美国如何不信任不受保护的行人,“禁止擅入”标志、封闭的社区、没有人行道的郊区房子——甚至更远,人类有记录之前、郊区和高速公路出现以前的原始建筑。我们直立的祖先的进化模式是,在意味着保护的遮蔽物间来回移动,然后离开房子冒着生命危险去觅食。当一个食肉动物突然出现时,他们没有硬朗的路虎可以帮忙撤退。而从进化的观点来看,危险总是和步行并行的,这证明在数个世纪后,法律会反对流浪,而“一个走路的女人一定就是妓女”的假设也是成立的。

Walking opens us up to the menace of a world outside the built environments that we control. Driving, despite the high risk of crashes, injury, and death, masks itself as freedom: we’re not watching our backs. And once we’ve become unaccustomed to the movement of the air, the rustle of the trees, the sight of other people, they can startle. eople who move differently and think differently from us become, from the safety of our fortress-homes and echo-chamber media and car-conduits that feed it all, threats to our way of life. And so we design towns and suburbs, neighbourhoods and cities, unfriendly to the walker, to those who break out of the paradigms we’ve deemed safe. We do this willingly, even though the personal loss of walking ability is so terrifying that ‘Will I ever walk again?’ is a reliable trope of television’s medical dramas.

步行,将人们暴露于人为环境之外的世界的危险之中。开车,自认为是自由的,除了高风险的撞车、受伤和死亡外:因为我们不必关注自我。当一旦人们已经变得不习惯空气流动(风)、树叶沙沙作响、他人的目光,他们会吓一跳。届时,那些和人们思考、行动不一样,不曾享受堡垒似的家、立体式多媒体和汽车管道的人,会威胁到人们的生活方式。因此人们将城镇郊区、城市社区设计得令行人、令那些打破了常规的人不适应。我们自愿这样做,哪怕丧失个人走路的能力,哪怕恐怖地就像电视医疗剧里的典型台词,“我还能再走路吗?”

Much of the world, thankfully, is unlike the US in this respect. But for how long? America has already exported nutrition-light junk food across the globe, along with its attendant obesity and diabetes epidemics. Why not our aversion to getting places on foot? Oligarchs and politicians in Russia started importing their own flavour of gated communities years ago, usually complete with a guardhouse and guns, and the country’s middle class often aspires to the same. The Ramblers in Britain has faced resistance to its use of ancient footpaths and its advocacy for the ‘right to roam’ since the organisation’s inception in 1935. As American approaches to economic policies and social programmes, as well as the craving for elbow-room and large, single-family homes, worm their way into the European psyche, how, too, will the urban and rural landscapes change to reflect Americans’ hurried and sedentary lifestyles? What will we lose of ourselves in the process?

然而幸运的是,世界上大多数地方,在这方面不像美国。但是还有多久呢?美国已经向全世界输出了没有营养的垃圾食品,以及伴随而来的肥胖、糖尿病。为什么不让人们讨厌步行呢?数年前,俄罗斯的寡头政治执政者和政客们开始“进口”符合他们口味的封闭式社区,通常伴有警卫室和枪,然后国家的中产阶级们也经常渴望同样的。英国的漫步者已经面临对古老的步行通道、始于1935年的组织的漫步倡议的反对。作为解决经济政治和社会问题的美国式途径,包括对自由活动场所、大住宅的渴望,正逐渐渗透欧洲文化核心,然后,城市和乡村会怎样改变以体现美国式匆忙而不变的生活方式?而我们自己会在其中失去什么呢?

In January 2013 the journalist and National Geographic fellow aul Salopek undertook a seven-year journey on foot, from Ethiopia’s Great Rift Valley to Tierra del Fuego in Chile. Called Out of Eden Walk, his trek was structured to follow, literally, in the footsteps of Homo sapiens, those few thousand human beings who ventured out from Africa more than 100,000 years ago to spread their genetic material around the globe. His reasons for walking? To ‘relearn the contours of our planet at the human pace of three miles an hour . . . I hope to repair certain important connections burned through by artificial speed, by inattentiveness.’

20131月,记者、国际地理会员保罗·萨洛佩科开始了一项为期七年的行走,从埃塞俄比亚的东非大裂谷到智利的火地岛。这叫做“走在伊甸园外”的活动,不夸张地说,他会有计划地跟随智人——超过十万年前,数量不过数千的他们从非洲开始向外冒险,向全世界传播了人类基因——的脚步。他行走的理由呢?为了“通过1小时3英里的人类速度,重新感受我们星球的轮廓……我希望通过笨拙的方式,重新修补那些因人造速度而损失的重要的联系。”

Even Los Angeles is trying to shuck its longstanding identity as an auto-dystopia through investment in public transport and public spaces

甚至洛杉矶也在试图通过投资公共交通和公众场所以洗掉自己长期以来糟糕的形象

Salopek started his journey because we are losing our ability and our right to walk, but I fear he started it too late. Those of us who walk are finding the paths slipping out from under our feet. What will we become without the means to walk, the desire, the space, the capability? Are we headed, as Daniel E Lieberman asks, ‘to a future like the one described in the movie WALL-E in which we balloon into a race of fat, chronically ill weaklings who are dependent on medications, machines, and big corporations to survive?’ If so, it will be a future we created willingly, with our complaints that walking is too much work, too boring, too weird. The other day I saw a pickup truck with a bumper sticker proclaiming, ‘My other car is a couch!!!’ a prospect so exciting it warranted three exclamation marks.

萨洛佩科因为我们正在丧失步行的权利而开始自己的旅途,但是我害怕他开始得太晚了。那些步行者发现人行道正从脚下逐步逝去。失去步行的方式、欲望、空间和能力,人们会变成什么样?我们正在走向一个,正如丹尼尔·E·里尔波曼问的,“去往一个就像电影《机器人总动员》描绘的那样,人们成为一群受肥胖、慢性病折磨,只能依靠医药、器械和大公司才能生存的世界?”如果这样,那也是我们自愿创造的世界,因为我们总抱怨走路太辛苦、太无聊、太奇怪。有一天我看见一辆小货车贴着保险杠贴纸,上面写着“我的另一辆车是一个沙发!!!”,这带着三个感叹号的贴纸太有意思了。(因为车变得就像沙发,懒惰、变胖的象征)。

Walkability has attracted more positive attention over the past few years, partly because of tragedies like Raquel Nelson’s, but thanks more to the clout of younger, well-off white citizens. These younger generations prefer walking or biking to car ownership, making ‘walk scores’ valuable commodities for real estate. A slow trickle of walkability initiatives is digging grooves in America’s car culture, starting in the cities. In 2014 New York City launched Vision Zero, a programme started in Sweden, that aims to make the roads safer for all users, one of its principles being that human health and life take precedence over mobility. Seattle is experimenting with turning some neighbourhoods into Dutch-style woonerfs, street spaces that all users share equally. Even Los Angeles is trying to shuck its longstanding identity as an auto-dystopia through investment in public transport and public spaces.

过去几年里,舒适步行已经得到更多积极的关注,一部分是因为拉克尔·尼尔森样的悲剧,但是更感谢许多年轻人、富有的白人的影响。这些年轻的一代人,相比汽车,更喜欢走路或骑自行车,这让“步行得分”也成为衡量房地产价值的有效因素。从城市开始,舒适行走的涓涓细流正在美国汽车文化里积极积累。2014年,纽约启动了零伤亡活动,这是一个起源于瑞典的活动,旨在使马路对所有使用者都安全,其中一个观点就是,“人类的健康和生命比移动更重要”。西雅图正在试验,试图将一些社区变成荷兰式的庭院式道路(乌纳夫),以让每个人都能平等地使用街道。甚至洛杉矶也在试图通过投资公共交通和公众场所以洗掉自己长期以来糟糕的形象

And when America Walks announced the launch of its Walking College, which will train people in community-level walking advocacy, they received 80 applications for 20 spots, even though the fellows would have to pay for their training themselves. The irony of a Walking College is not lost on Kate Kraft. ‘It’s impressive, considering evolution,’ she says of America Walks’s work. ‘Something so simple and so fundamental to being human requiring so much intentional energy.’

Will it be enough? I look at stories like Raquel Nelson’s and think the future might look less like WALL-E – in which human beings are at least happy, well cared-for, and oblivious to their condition – and more like Margaret Atwood’s Oryx & Crake, where those with means will live in enormous, deceptively serene compounds of cleanliness and innovation, and those without will be left in the decaying cities to get around however they can.

当美国步行协会宣布启动步行学院(学院将培训提倡社区步行)时,他们在20个地点收到80封申请,即使这些人都需要自费培训。凯特·克拉夫特并不觉得这是种讽刺,“这是令人印象深刻的、值得深思的进步”。她提到美国步行协会的工作说:“一些对人类如此基础简单的事情竟需要如此多刻意的精力。”这样就够了吗?我读着拉克尔·尼尔森的故事,觉得未来可能不太会像《机器人总动员》——在那里人类至少会快乐、衣食无忧、乐不思蜀——而更像玛格丽特·阿特伍德的《羚羊和秧鸡》:有钱人会生活在一个巨大的虚假的平静的清洁和创新的混合物中,剩下的人只能尽己所能地游荡在腐蚀的城市里。

Until then, open your door; go for a walk. Feel the spring in your step, the buoyancy in your spine, the loose-limbed gait, as more than clichés. Take one last, lingering moment to appreciate this miraculous thing before we lose it forever.

在那之前,打开门,出去走走。感觉你脚下的溪流、放松的脊椎和四肢随意的步伐,或类似的。至少一次,久久徘徊,以在我们永远失去之间好好珍惜。

[ 本帖最后由 南卓 于 2015-8-29 19:24 编辑 ]

评分

参与人数 2贡献 +15 收起 理由
一碗清月 + 5
木兰晓芙 + 10 长篇翻译,辛苦!

查看全部评分

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-8-28 07:38:54 | 显示全部楼层
为韩文复杂的句子结构头大了一段时间后,再看英文,简直都是种幸福:)

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-8-28 07:41:47 | 显示全部楼层
因为这个帖子发出来的目的是和大家讨论翻译时的一些疑问和感受,而不是让大家欣赏它的文学表现,所以,我把它从松涛书院的“文学”类里移了出来,移到沧浪亭的“外语学习”类。
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-8-29 05:30:25 | 显示全部楼层
这么长,不容易!
期待南卓兄分享更具体的翻译感想。

回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-8-29 18:10:42 | 显示全部楼层
The other day I saw a pickup truck with a bumper sticker proclaiming, ‘My other car is a couch!!!’ a prospect so exciting it warranted three exclamation marks. 这句咋翻译?
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2015-8-29 19:23:53 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 木耳 于 2015-8-29 18:10 发表 The other day I saw a pickup truck with a bumper sticker proclaiming, ‘My other car is a couch!!!’ a prospect so exciting it warranted three exclamation marks. 这句咋翻译?

这一句翻译的时候,感觉太跳了,抓不住意思。后来我又想了下,这样翻译的。“有一天我看见一辆小货车贴着保险杠贴纸,上面写着“我的另一辆车是一个沙发!!!”,这带着三个感叹号的贴纸太有意思了。(因为车变得就像沙发,懒惰、变胖的象征)”,便和前面的《机器人总动员》里的世界,联系起来了。

[ 本帖最后由 南卓 于 2015-8-29 19:24 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2015-8-29 20:45:07 | 显示全部楼层
原帖由 清和 于 2015-8-29 05:30 发表 这么长,不容易!期待南卓兄分享更具体的翻译感想。

借学姐这一楼,说下自己具体的翻译感想。

1、翻译的初衷
因为还没有接到上班通知,另外在乡下实在太闲了,每天看看书、打打游戏,偶尔练练车(这简直是种折磨),觉得人慢慢地就这么沉沦下去了,那么不想如此的话,找点事做吧——那就把英语好好学习学习呗。每天晚上便会上www.digg.com这个网站看一些新闻。这个网站,类似于新闻文摘,会从不同的网站来源搜索较好的文章,类似Zaker、Flipboard这种。看了就几天,觉得光看其实也没什么,不如翻译吧。翻译一些比较有价值、有想法的文章。

2、具体翻译问题
(1)词汇问题。
看不懂的词蛮多的,虽然已经锻炼出来,尽管词汇看不懂,但丝毫不影响获取大概意思。但翻译的时候发现,词汇真的很重要,有时候翻译一句话,因为某个词汇看起来很眼熟,而随便翻译了一下,往往最后那句话就不通,然后发现问题就是某个词汇误解了。比如下面这句话,“Walking is a complex interconnection of cognitive processes and sensory inputs”, 刚开始看见“cognitive”时,感觉和“positive“很像(不要问我为什么觉得很像,我也觉得莫名其妙),所有怎么翻译都不通顺,然后查了一下“cogntive”,发现是“adj.认知的”意思。类似的还有一些, 例如“and you get a mass exodus of generations hopping from their houses into comfortable”里面的“hopping”,我自然以为就是“希望”的意思,当然是有问题的,其实是“adj.忙碌的”。所以,这里反应出一个问题,似是而非,究其原因,我觉得大概有两点,第一是词汇量不足,这个是我很严重的短板,第二便是行事风格糊涂了之,平时阅读都是差不多就可以,实在不应该。
另外一个似是而非的例子,就是我在微信群里问过的,In Orwellian fashion大概知道什么意思,但文字上译出来觉得总不到位。

(2)句子结构问题。
像白水老师说的那样,看多了复杂的韩语句式之后,看英语简直是种幸福。我也觉得如此,虽然没有看过韩语。因为我阅读和获取英文意思,极大程度是来自于单词,好像我们外国人和咱们说中文样的,一个单词一个单词的往外蹦,但是我们依然能了解去大概意思,我刚去英国说英语也是这样。所以,句子结构无论复杂不复杂,都不妨碍我阅读——当然这只是一种一厢情愿的看法,在翻译的时候就吃了很多亏。
翻译第一要求意思准确,那么句式结构会影响一个句子的意思吗?会。例如,“We tread without thinking, toes pushing off from the soil, cheeks lifted to catch the air, dirt caking in our nostrils”,初次翻译时,译成“人们不经思考地踩踏,让脚趾抬离地面,然后面颊抬起呼吸空气,让灰尘在鼻子里结块”,但后来我觉得应该不是这个意思,应该是描述走路的动作十分自然,后面的“脚趾抬离地面,脸颊抬起”什么的,都是用于描述这种自然的,而不是和前者有连续关系的动作。所以后来译成“而动作十分自然,脚趾离开地面,面颊抬起呼吸空气,灰尘在鼻孔里结块”——当然可能这两个意思我都是理解错的,还望指正。

另外句式结构还有影响翻译文字水准。英语里面有很多定语从句,这翻译起来其实比较麻烦。例如“Walking opens us up to the menace of a world outside the built environments that we control”,既有“of”又有“that”,直译起来大概是“步行让人们暴露在那些受人们控制的被营造环境之外的世界的危险中”,但就中文而言,比较难读;再比如“But at a deeper level, Americans’ attachment to private property and individual liberty – which are rife with a history of racial and class tensions – drives us to mistrust walking”,这种句式其实可以用破折号来处理,毕竟原文就是如此,译成“但更深层次,美国人对私有财产和个体自由的依恋——充满历史上的种族阶层的紧张(冲突),会让人们选择不信任步行”,但个人不喜欢,觉得太突兀,所以自己改写一下,变成“但更深层次,种族阶层斗争的历史背景下,美国人对私有财产和个体自由的依恋,会让人们选择不信任步行”,类似的例子还有很多。或者相反的,英文用的定语从句,没有破折号,而中文用破折号处理一下,也是满顺畅的,例如“Only New York City (as well as, some would claim, Boston) managed to save itself for pedestrians, assisted by an existing and expansive public transport system and the work of people like the 1960s activist and writer Jane Jacobs, who successfully argued that sidewalks, pedestrians, and public spaces were crucial to healthy, thriving cities”,译成“只有纽约(可能还有人说,波士顿),通过一种现存的昂贵的公共交通系统,以及一些人,例如1960年代的激进分子、作家Jane Jacobs——他成功地证明人行道、行人和公共区域对富有而蒸蒸日上的城市的重要性,试图为行人保留了一些什么”

(3)实在不懂怎么办?
有些句子真的是看不懂,觉得一团乱麻。例如,“Think of episodes of the television show Mad Men set in a Cadillac dealership or the factory floors of Detroit, heart of America’s motorised fantasies: like the 1960s advertising offices at the centre of the show itself, the automobile showrooms are saturated with the myths of what Americans imagine themselves to be”,其中这句“like the 1960s advertising offices at the centre of the show itself”,没看明白什么意思,只能结合上下文,勉强翻译一下,译成“就像1960年代的广告办事处就位于其中心”(以具体例子体现美国汽车文化的内涵)。

类似的还有,例如木耳师兄提出的那句,“The other day I saw a pickup truck with a bumper sticker proclaiming, ‘My other car is a couch!!!’ a prospect so exciting it warranted three exclamation marks”,看了好几遍后,联系上下文,大概算是翻译出来了。

还有下面这句,“I’d theorise that America’s distrust of the unprotected pedestrian – the No Trespassing signs, the gated communities, the suburban homes with no sidewalks – goes further back, tapping into instincts built long before suburbs and motorways, before human record”,后面这个原始建筑,不知其所云啊。

以上提到都是一些具体细节问题,也是在翻译中困扰比较多的问题。但有些问题经过仔细推敲,反反复复地思考,收获不少,脑海里不断地运用这个词汇、那个句式,琢磨一下这个,琢磨一下那个,积极调动各种存货(虽然并没有多少)——这个过程想想也是满快乐的——确实太无聊了。

(4)逻辑问题
这个问题一开始就有。为什么我要翻译这篇文章?如果从锻炼英文角度,digg.com上的每篇文章都差不多。我发现,除了翻译之外,更要知道这篇文章好不好,值不值得翻译——那么就涉及到,这篇文章讲的好不好,作者是如何组织语言来阐述自己观点的。

其实英文文章的逻辑,对我而言是很有问题的。因为阅读习惯是从单词里获取文章大意,所以并不能了解每段在讲什么,上下文有什么联系——可能大家会觉得很奇怪,你不是获取了大意吗?是的,意思是知道了,但这意思其实是为了考试培养出来的。中国的英语考试,包括托福(我只考过托福),阅读大多数都是对每段文字里面的某段话、某个词提问,而关于大意一般只有最后一至两题,然后获得的学习方法就是,找到问题中的关键词,再在原文中找到相应地方,找到这一题的答案就好了——找到答案了,那还用管这篇文章讲了什么啊。所以,看完一篇英文文章后,如果要求重新复述一遍,这篇文章讲了些什么,我大概只能讲一个主题词,哦,是关于“步行”的。具体的呢?具体的就不知道了,大概有这个那个吧。但翻译的时候,就不能这样子了。

例如这句话,“This is the kind of privilege that Raquel Nelson, and millions like her, might never experience”,其实我并不能理解这种“privilege”,上文讲的是作者写作基于一种privilege,然后讲到美国人民正陷入一种奥威尔式的状况——人们可以在离家一英里范围内用步行解决一切问题,下文提到,孩子们不能按照自己意愿走路去想去的地方,是很不人道的事情。那么,这和奥威尔式的状况又有什么联系,毕竟文章一开头就提出了,美国人正如奥威尔的笔下人那样,正失去步行的权利,可为何又说人们可以在离家一公里的范围内用走路解决一切问题?大家是不是也看懵了?所以我觉得,一定是我翻译时出错了,不然不会出现这样的逻辑问题。但最后还是没弄明白怎么回事,可能是我对奥威尔式的状况本身没弄明白吧。

但就是这样的过程,让我的对理解英文文章的逻辑关系,有了一些提升。相信经过更多的类似的训练,理解能力还能得到很大提升。

3、总结一下
总结其实只想到远风老师以前说过的一句话,大意如下

“你要觉得肚里有些东西,那就写下来,写的明白有逻辑,才证明是真的懂了,而不是嘴上随便说说,反正也不用负责任,其实可能你根本没弄明白这个问题”
,翻译这篇文章也是如此。平时读起来觉得,哎,大概就是这样吧,等翻译出来,其实根本不是那样,自己有很多没弄明白的地方。多多琢磨,相信自己坚持下去,能得到更大提升,明白更多。

另外,此文翻译的一定是问题多多,还请各位多多指点。谢谢了。

[ 本帖最后由 南卓 于 2015-8-29 20:48 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-8-30 05:23:21 | 显示全部楼层
文章很长,感想也很长,要慢慢看。

先说说这段:
原帖由 南卓 于 2015-8-29 20:45 发表 例如这句话,“This is the kind of privilege that Raquel Nelson, and millions like her, might never experience”,其实我并不能理解这种“privilege”,上文讲的是作者写作基于一种privilege,然后讲到美国人民正陷入一种奥威尔式的状况——人们可以在离家一英里范围内用步行解决一切问题,下文提到,孩子们不能按照自己意愿走路去想去的地方,是很不人道的事情。那么,这和奥威尔式的状况又有什么联系,毕竟文章一开头就提出了,美国人正如奥威尔的笔下人那样,正失去步行的权利,可为何又说人们可以在离家一公里的范围内用走路解决一切问题?大家是不是也看懵了?所以我觉得,一定是我翻译时出错了,不然不会出现这样的逻辑问题。但最后还是没弄明白怎么回事,可能是我对奥威尔式的状况本身没弄明白吧。 
其实我只大概看了你的译文,觉得没什么问题。我想作者要表达的是:“人们可以在离家一英里范围内用步行解决一切问题”正在成为一种privilege(我可能会译为“特权”)(而不是说靠步行解决一切问题是奥威尔式的状况),而这种特权是 “Americans don’t realise they’ve lost in a nearly Orwellian fashion”(直译:以一种奥威尔式的方式失去而没有意识到的)步行作为一种生活方式,比以往任何时候都更加遥不可及,尤其是对贫困地区而言”,作者还能够享受到的这种特权是尼尔森这样的人享受不到的。
[ 本帖最后由 清和 于 2015-8-30 05:25 编辑 ]
回复

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|水云间

GMT+8, 2024-4-26 09:27 , Processed in 0.057511 second(s), 20 queries .